After all these years most Atari 2600 systems still work, but a number of components do not age well or can create subtle or outright frustrating problems.
Instead of a basic electrolytic cap kit, we have create a more comprehensive tune-up package for your 2600 4 Switch or Junior game consoles!
This kit includes several new capacitors:
For 4 Switch
- All new 2200uF and 4.7uF electrolytic capacitors: C201, C214, C243 (4.7uF caps are radial-type)
- C206, C207: Two new 820pF MLCC capacitors to replace failure-prone styrene caps: Frequently the cause of audio loss (see product images for install photo)
- C241 and/or C242: Two replacement .1uF (or .22uF) "chicklet" capacitors. Some models have incorrect parts from the factory, or sometimes the original caps fail and cause "sparklies" in the video. These are the non-electrolytic cap(s) near the voltage regulator. The .1uF and .22uF are functionally identical for this purpose.
- All new electrolytic capacitors: C20, C26, C27, C29, C37
- C53, C54: Two new 820pF MLCC capacitors to replace failure-prone styrene caps: Frequently the cause of audio loss (see product images for install photo)
Other replacement components:
- A brand-new DC power jack. Many originals are broken, dirty, or have lost tension over the years. We've even seen hardwired power supplies due to broken power jacks.
- A new 7805 voltage regulator rated for 1A service. The originals are rated for only 1/2A and do fail on occasion.
- A packet of fresh heat sink compound
If you have a 6 switch or pre-revision 14 console, we have another kit specifically for those early revisions containing a few service updates. Please see the related items.
Additional service information available on our wiki page