Neo Geo AES
Chip numbers (U1 - U39) are from schematics but PCBs are not typically marked.
- U1: RAM (Work): SRAM 256Kb: 32K x 8-bit CXK58257AM-10L, uPD43256AGU-12L
- U2: RAM (Work): SRAM 256Kb: 32K x 8-bit CXK58257AM-10L, uPD43256AGU-12L
- U3: CPU: TMP68HC000N-12
- U4: NEO-C1
- U5: NEO-G0
- U7: RAM: SRAM 8Kb: 1K x 8-bit uPD4364CX-12
- U8: 74HC04
- U9: 74LS273
- U10: 74LS273
- U11: 74LS05
- U12: 74LS06
- U13: NEO-B1
- U15: 74LS244
- U16: BIOS (Z80): TC531000CP
- U17: RAM (LSPC): SRAM 256Kb: 32K x 8-bit CXK58257AM-10L, uPD43256AGU-12L
- U18: RAM (LSPC): SRAM 256Kb: 32K x 8-bit CXK58257AM-10L, uPD43256AGU-12L
- U19: RAM (Palette): SRAM 64Kb: 8K x 8-bit CXK5863P-30, CXK5864BSP-10L
- U20: RAM (Palette): SRAM 64Kb: 8K x 8-bit CXK5863P-30, CXK5864BSP-10L
- U21: Line Sprites: LSPC2-A2
- U22: NEO-D0
- U23: RAM (Z80): SRAM 16Kb: 2K x 8-bit BR6216B-10LL, HM6116ASP-20
- U24: CPU: Z0840006PSC
- U25: Headphone Amp: NJM2066D
- U26: Audio DAC: YM3016-D
- U27: Audio: YM2610
- U28: Op-Amp: 4558
- U29: Op-Amp: 4558
- U30: Op-Amp: 4558
- U31: Op-Amp: 4558
- U32: RGB Encoder: CXA1145P
- U33: 74HC04
- U34: NEO-E0
- U35: 74HC259
- U36: NEO-EP0 BIOS (68000): TC531024P-15
- U37: Voltage Regulator: LM2576T
- U38: 74HC32
- U39: CX23065A
Other possible chips (?):
- RAM (Video): CXK5814P-35L
Upper Left 10uF 16v 100uF 10v (recommended change to 470uF to improve video quality) 100uF 10v (recommended change to 470uF to improve video quality) 100uF 10v (recommended change to 470uF to improve video quality) 100uF 10v (recommended change to 470uF to improve video quality) 100uF 10v (recommended change to 470uF to improve video quality) 10uF 16v 4.7uF 25v 1000uF 16v Upper Right 4.7uF 25v 4.7uF 25v 4.7uF 25v 4.7uF 25v 10uf 16v Lower Left 1uF 50v 4.7uF 25v Headphone Control 220uF 10v 220uF 10v 1uf 50v 1uf 50v 22uf 10v 22uf 10v 22uf 10v Add-on PCB PL24IT (not always present) 47uf 16v 1uF 50v
NEO-AES 3-3, 3-4
100uF 16v 7 10uF 16v 4 1uF 50v 4 2200uF 16v 1 220uF 16v 2 22uF 16v 3 4.7uF 25v 7 470uF 16v 1
Value Quantity 100uF 16v 1 10uF 16v 19 2200uF 16v 1 470uF 16v 7
Near Reset Button 2200uF 6.3v 1 470uF 16v 1 10uF 16v 1 Below cart connector 10uF 16v 15 470uF 16v 2 By power jack 470uF 16v 5 10uF 16v 4 1uF 50v 3
Note: These are cleaned up & reduced size versions of the originally released PDF. I've removed the markings and split a few of these to save space.
ALPHA DENSHI CO., NEOGEO-2, Rev 1.5, October 4, 1991
The AES has a simple built-in self test which is activated when powering the console on without a cartridge installed. 
- All tests passed (The AES does not test the Z80 sound IC).
- Work RAM error ($100000 region).
- Palette RAM error ($400000 region).
- Video RAM error (programmed through custom port).
- BIOS checksum error (0xC00000 region).
- Memory card error (only tested if card in unit and blank).
AES 3-3, 3-4 Audio Fix
Revisions 3-3 and 3-4 are missing some caps in the audio section leading to poor quality sound:
- 470uF bypass cap on the 2066D
- (-) on pin 8, (+) on pin 9
- 0.1uF or 10uF bypass cap for the DAC. Both included in our kits - the 3-6 uses a 10uF but this mod is also frequently performed using the 0.1uF.
- (-) on pin 2, (+) on pin 1 (orientation not important if using 0.1uF ceramic)
- 2x 1uF ceramic caps on headphone amp audio inputs
- Connect 1 cap from pin 1 to GND, and other cap from pin 16 to GND
- 4x 0.1uF ceramic caps on 4558 / 324 opamps
- Across pins 4-8 on the 3x 4558
- Across pins 8-9 on the 2066 headphone amp