Game Boy DMG-01 Full Size IPS Installation
The manufacturer includes double sided tape to fix the LCD to the upper shell. Due to the fragile construction of the LCD panel, we have designed a drop-in bracket and these install directions are written based on this bracket. We strongly recommend against installing the panel with tape! Repositioning the screen to center the display will be very challenging and future removal will be even worse once the tape has bonded with the shell.
You may notice that the full size replacement PCB for the upper shell has 4 slots that correspond with 4 tabs on the back of the LCD. The manufacturer may have applied anti-shorting tape to the LCD panel which prevents these tabs from being used. We don't recommend using this method either as the image will not be centered by default. If you do bend the tabs to center the image, the metal tabs will end up at a 45 degree angle and the screen will wobble / float. Alignment issues are further exacerbated as you can only utilize 3 out of 4 tabs due to the location of the miniature LCD driver PCB.
We have had multiple reports of damage to the LCD when using the tabs. Do not use them!
- Philips or Triwing screwdriver
- Soldering iron & solder
- Diagonal cutters
- Hobby knife
- Remove battery cover & batteries
- Remove 6 screws holding shell together (4 exposed, 2 inside battery compartment)
- Detach ribbon cable connecting CPU & LCD boards
- Remove 10 screws holding DMGLCD board to upper shell
- Remove DMGLCD board, pads, buttons, and set aside
- Flush cut 2x original LCD screw posts
- Flush cut 1x shell tab
- Flush cut edge trim opposite of contrast wheel
- Inspect CPU PCB soldering and flush-cut solder points
Assembly: Part 1
- Desolder and swap speaker to new PCB
- Gently bend alignment bracket and snap new LCD in to place.
- Connect LCD interface board to LCD. This is a double-row connector - ensure ribbon is fully seated into the interface PCB before closing the connector lock.
- Cut and apply a very small piece of double-sided tape and attach interface PCB to back of LCD
- Connect thin flat cable to interface PCB
- Insert bracket/LCD into upper shell
- Temporarily refit new PCB and connect LCD
- Connect large ribbon cable between new PCB and CPU board.
- Align upper and lower shell, replace middle 2 screws to close case fully for binding check (listed below)
- Power on unit
- Test contrast wheel for binding.
- If wheel does not spin freely, ensure shell tab is fully removed and that case screws are not over tightened.
- If palette button binds, check wheel for witness marks indicating drag against DMGCPU board solder connections.
- Remove new PCB, replace buttons and conductive pads
- Secure and fasten LCD PCB to upper shell at 6 points shown in photo below
- Close shell and replace 6x shell screws. Note that extra resistance is normal due to folding the large connecting ribbon between boards.